Friday, March 2, 2007

Teacher hugs

I stand at my door in the morning and greet each student as they enter. Many of them give me a hug as they enter the class. Students I had in my class years ago sometimes come by and start their day with quick hug.

Last year a first year teacher came over to my door and said - You certainly hug everyone.

I thought she was referring to the new "don't touch anyone" rules in the schools. - I don't ask any of them to hug me. I'm just not about to tell them they cannot hug me.

She seemed to think about this. - I've never seen anyone hug so many people.

Now I was feeling a bit defensive. - Does it bother you?

She sighed sadly, - No, some days I wish I could get in line.


The first year is tramatic for many. I hugged her.

Never underestimate the impact of being a caring person first and a teacher second.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So can I now call you 'the hugger'? :)