Sunday, February 18, 2007

He said

During a tour of the local police station my students were shown the confinement cells. Four at a time they were allowed to go in, sit on the bed and look around. An adult went in with each group to make sure they did not touch anything. The young officer who was giving the tour was not our usual guide.

Ther officer was describing the cells as the children looked around inside - There is a bed inside each if someone wants to sleep while they are here. Each cell also has a toilet if you need to pee.

I was gathering up the next group when the officer sounded a little distressed - Someone is peeing in there! One of them is peeing right now!

I rushed over with a male parent chaperone at my side. He said - Who would be peeing in there?

In the middle of the cell, his son stood with his pants around his ankles. I rushed over and pulled up the boy's pants.

The little boy looked up at me in sincere confusion, "He said to pee."

His father could not stop laughing. The officer could not stop laughing.

The other children did not understand the joke. A fellow classmate came to my side to offer support for his friend, "He DID say to pee. I heard him."

I'm sure that is one officer who will choose his words carefully next time.

No comments: